A Brighter Future For Your Family

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  | How can I handle conflict with my children’s other parent?

How can I handle conflict with my children’s other parent?

On Behalf of | Jul 27, 2021 | Child Custody

When you share parenting duties with your children’s other parent, there may be times when you do not see eye to eye. While the hope is you will be able to work through any issues by communicating clearly or seeking mediation, that may not always happen.

If you have conflict, the most important thing is to not let it impact your children. The Texas Attorney General explains there are certain guidelines you may want to follow to ensure it will not impact your kids and to find a suitable resolution.

Protect the children

Any issues between you and the other parent should not be something your children worry about. You should never fight in front of them or bring them into conflict. It is important to not talk down about the other parent to your children either.

You should also model good behavior in front of your children. Show them you are trying to work together and reach an agreement.

There is one exception here. If you think the other parent is putting your children in danger, either physically or mentally, you should seek the help of the court right away. You can also call the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services to get immediate help. You will likely need to explain what is happening to your children. Do so using age-appropriate language.

Protect yourself

Sometimes issues are not that easy to resolve. If the other parent is refusing your parenting time, then you need to keep records of each event. Make sure you keep any communications and keep a log of the times and dates it happens.

You may need to go to court. If there is a parenting agreement and the other parent violates it, you may be able to request the court to hold him or her in contempt.

Hopefully, you can easily resolve any issues you have with your co-parent. However, if things escalate, you always have the option to go to court for a ruling on the situation.